Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Green Bean Challenge Starts Here!


This blog starts, as it should, with a can of green beans. The date today is July 9th, 2009 and it is 2:33 on a beautiful summer day, temperatures hanging in the mid-80s. I've just had lunch with my good friend Ann, and in the spirit of irony, I powerwalked afterward, trying to burn a few of the calories I had just consumed. It's beautiful to be able to eat in the USA. We can get fat and complain about being fat, and exercise at one end while we shovel it in the other, and hunger is...well, someone else's problem -- certainly not mine.
It will be interesting to see how this blog develops. There are alot of additions to be spliced and hacked onto this page. Links and hints and thoughtful musings paired against rants and disappointments.
But one thing I hope, pray, desire, lust and yes, hunger for, is that the one can above will multiply into hundreds of other non-perishable food items, pounds and pounds of food, hopefully even more than a ton of food, which can be delivered to the Foodbank sometime near Christmas of this year. For a while now, other people's hunger will be my problem.

No comments: