Saturday, July 11, 2009

Why green beans?


Some people ask me why I chose green beans as my challenge name. It's simple, the pea challenge already had its own double-entendre! And who would donate to the Creamed Corn Challenge?

Seriously, I asked a friend if he would donate to my food drive. He said he would rummage through his cabinets to find a can of beets he bought on a whim and then realized he would never eat beets. I was a little irritated and I told him, "People in economic trouble don't want to eat beets, either. They want to eat good food just like you and me. Go home and bring me something edible, like a can of green beans!"

And that is how it happened...

(Now just in case you are the Director of the American Beet Growers Association, I want you to be completely honest with yourself. While there are many, many people who love a delicious beet, in the hierarchy of canned vegetable popularity, beets are far lower than green beans.)

No comments: